Petane Station is situated in Eskdale, part of the Esk Valley wine growing region. Esk Valley enjoys a maritime influence where the hot dry summer days experience a cooling sea breeze in the late afternoon. This natural thermostat allows for gradual sugar accumulation and slow acid reduction giving natural berry ripeness, sublime flavour profiles and fine structure and balance to our wine. This maritime climate is ideal for the varieties we grow - Pinot Gris, Gewürztraminer, Chardonnay and Viognier.
Our vines grow on deep alluvial river sands and stone, left behind by the Esk River. This free draining soil allows the vine roots to reach deep into the earth helping us to achieve full flavoured and true to variety wine styles.
The 8 hectare vineyard is currently comprised of 5 blocks:
- Church Block: Established: 1999, Size: 3.3 Hectares, Grape Variety: Pinot Gris.
- Tracks: Established: 2009, Size: 0.3 Hectares, Grape Variety: Viognier.
- Hau Hau: Established: 2011, Size: 1.0 Hectare, Grape Varieties: Pinot Gris and Gewürztraminer.
- Bellbird: Established 2011, Size: 0.2 Hectares, Grape Variety: Gewürztraminer.
- Puriri: Established 2014, Size: 0.5 Hectares, Grape Variety: Chardonnay.