Petane Wines is situated in Eskdale, Hawke's Bay, part of the Esk Valley wine growing region. Esk Valley enjoys a maritime influence where the hot dry summer days experience a cooling sea breeze in the late afternoon.
This natural thermostat allows for gradual sugar accumulation and slow acid reduction giving natural berry ripeness, sublime flavour profiles and fine structure and balance to our wine. This maritime climate is ideal for the varieties we grow - Pinot Gris, Gewürztraminer, Chardonnay, Viognier, Pinot Blanc and Gamay.
Our vines grow on deep alluvial river sands and stone, left behind by the Esk River. This free draining soil allows the vine roots to reach deep into the earth helping us to achieve full flavoured and true to variety wine styles.
The 7 hectare vineyard is currently comprised of 5 blocks:
- Tracks: Established: 2009, Size: 0.5 Hectares, Variety: Viognier. Clone: 642
- Hau Hau: Established: 2011, Size: 1.0 Hectare, Variety: Pinot Gris
- Bellbird: Established 2011, Size: 0.2 Hectares, Variety: Gewürztraminer. Clone: 548 and 547
- Puriri: Established 2014, Size: 0.5 Hectares, Variety: Chardonnay. Clone 548 and 95
- Yabbi Creek: Established 2020, Size: 0.5 Hectares, Variety: Pinot Blanc and Gamay.
- Kahū: Established 2017, Size 2.0 Hectares, Variety Chardonnay. Clone 548